This weekend I got in a team game with the Lord Primarch (Ultramarines) and Augustus the Arcane (Minotaurs) vs. Severus the Uncompromising (Orks) and me (Tyranids). It was a fun game that ended with a one-point loss for the Orks and Nids. And I did learn a few things from this game.
- When you have a team game with 2000-point per player lists, and not play Apoc rules, you are in for a long day. The game lasted at least 6 hours.
- I need to learn how to accurately measure. Somehow, I had an eleven-inch charge in turn 1, which should have been a twelve-inch charge at best. Outcome didn’t matter as I failed the charge and the Raveners died in second half of turn one anyway. I really didn’t intend to cheat, but I admit it, I miss measured something.
- Centurions can wreck a Hierodule. In turn one, while I was trying to keep my dule away from the monster killers, I had a very poor run role, followed by another one, keeping the dule out in the open. Yea, it died pretty quickly.
- When you are having serious back issues, playing warhammer doesn’t help. This is not an old man’s game. I need to hire some youth (preferably of the opposite sex) to move my models for me.
- The weirdboy can actually be productive! How weird is that?
- The Lifta Droppa is hilarious when it works. And in this game, it worked very well. In theory it should hit a third of the time, but I swear that in a six turn game this thing took out at least 2 Drop Pods and a hovering Stormtalon. I think it took out even more than that, but still.
- The Biovore is not as bad as I feared. In fact, the one I used performed so well that I am building another one now. I will probably do a more through review later.
- I am getting old. Ok, I didn’t learn that in the game, but the point still stands.
- Drop Pod Assaults are worse in team games. There was a wall of them. Well, there was till the Lifta Droppa threw a few out of the way.
- I wanted to play a large game against Serverus once. Something like 3000 points per side. After this game, I now longer want to play that. I would need to nap after that game.
So that is it. A few of the things I learned from a very long, but very fun game played this weekend.
Now… where is that bed?